DO'S & DON'T
Tips to Citizens - Cyber Crime Offences
- Ensure to always use original software bought from the authorized vendor.
- Ensure to update anti-virus and other security software periodically.
- Ensure to take all removable devices like discs, pen drives and portable hard disks in proper custody and periodically check for the same.
- Ensure to get the maintenance and repair done by the authorized and reliable agency to eliminate the possibility of data stealing or system manipulation.
- Ensure to delete junk or suspicious emails rather than forwarding.
- Ensure to load software in mobile and laptops to remotely delete or safeguard data in case of stolen.
- Never let any unauthorized person to operate your computer or mobile.
- Never share your password, not even with your friends or colleagues.
- Never visit pornographic or gaming websites as these are the prime resources for intruders to break into your system.
- Never share your debit or credit card, particularly the CVV, with anyone.
- Never use a link from an email or another website to log into your internet banking account.
- Never use Internet Banking at public networks, shared PCs and Cyber cafes.
Tips to Citizens - Economical Offences
- Ensure that the company seeking money/investment/deposit from public is authorised to do so by a regulator like RBI, SEBI etc.
- Deal only with authorised representative of the company seeking investment/deposits.
- NBFCs are specifically permitted by RBI to collect deposits from public and public limited companies can collect deposits from public after satisfying certain conditions.
- Collective investment schemes inviting funds from public promising future delivery of articles such as plot/trees etc. or profile can be launched only by collective investment management companies registered with SEBI.
- Issue of shares, preference shares, debentures by companies is regulated by SEBI .
- Be sure to collect proper receipts of the money deposited /invested with the details of the schemes mentioned thereon.
- Before depositing your hard earned money into any schemes, be sure that payment is from actual business and not from the money collected from new members.
- Ensure that the company seeking money from you is genuine and is doing real business.
- Prior to purchase of land/flat from any private builders/ real estate firm, ensure it’s credential, verify the right, title of the land.
- Don’t part with bank account No. /ATM Pin No. /PAN card No. etc over phone to any strangers.
- Unincorporated bodies like individuals, proprietorship and partnership concerns, trusts etc. are prohibited from seeking public deposits.
- Do not get lured by online schemes seeking deposits and promising high returns of gifts
- Never pay in advance in the name of processing fees to receive a future loan.
- No company can offer more than 12.5 % interest on deposits. Promise of higher returns means high risk.